Full report to come. Just a quick update because I am too miserable to sleep anyway.
1. Thank you to my wife for allowing me to come down here and pursue this craziness. I love you and hope I have brought honor to our family with the effort I delivered.
2. I am going to the big dance. June 29, Squaw to Auburn. 17:41. A PR. My goal was to run under 15 hours. Sounds ridiculous. Maybe not. My splits were negative...just not the good kind of negative. First 50, low 7 hour range. Second 50, 10+ hours.
3. I got second after leading for the first 90 miles. Neal Gorman finally reeled me in and passed looking great. I was walking downhill at the time. I have no idea how I held on to second. I was suffering desperately since mile 20. I can't believe I even finished. I could barely walk, yet I found the guts to run again and again. I ran nothing beyond flat in the second half of the race. If I stopped,, I staggered. I was dizzy and had no energy. I am sure the only thing keeping me from laying down and sleeping on the side of the trail was a steady supply of Vespa. Any slight uphill running locked my entire body down with convulsive cramping and everything spun. Temps surged into the mid-80s with high humidity. To hold this together and finish is EASILY the hardest thing I have ever done. No human should ever suffer that badly. Hardcore.
4. After finishing, I waited a while and watched Yassine come in to claim his ticket to the dance. Psyched to see him in Squaw...great dude.
5. I staggered into the hotel and knew something was bad wrong...I got the stomach flu or food poisoning and I pretty much can't hold down a sip of water right now...both ends. I seriously need to re-hydrate, but I can't get anything in. I believe the dizziness and sick belly I experienced out there was this foulness setting in. Again, I can't believe I finished.
6. Flying home tomorrow...that should be fun. Looking forward to a long break from running. The damage done to my muscles from the massive cramping should demand a few weeks at least. I am wrecked!