Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Slab Butte Run 8225"


Mon. 8/1/2011

Easy day to a new peak.  Lots of elk scouting and taking in the view.  Just getting some air under my heels and trying not to go crazy waiting for race day.  No trail to this peak that I know of, so I bushwhacked and followed game and open-range cattle trails.

My approach started at the north end of Goose Lake at 6400'.  I headed east on a trail marked with a USFS pole.  The trail fizzled out in a few hundred yards, so I followed open meadows toward the saddle on the north ridge of the mountain- the left skyline of this pic.

I have arrived at the saddle and I am looking at the nice scrambling of the north ridge. 

Here is the crux of the north ridge, a 100' step of broken 4th class scrambling.

I have arrived at a false summit and I am looking toward the actual summit further south along the ridge.  4th to easy 5th class scrambling to reach the real peak.

The view from the summit, looking west to Granite Mountain 8478'.  Goose Lake is in the foreground and tiny Twin Lakes 7164' are 1 o'clock from Granite's summit.

Looking northeast toward the 4wd road to Fisher Creek Saddle 7500' with Black Tip Peak 8292' on the right and the rugged Bruin Mountain 8767' on the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment