Thursday, August 1, 2013

Late July pics


Stay Vertical Cross Country Camp

Afternoon lecture and discussion, with a view.



Les, Caretaker of the Granite Mountain Lookout, gives the team a primer on spotting and reporting fires.


East Ridge of Granite Mountain.

North Face of Jughandle Mountain on the Louie Lake Loop.

Granite Lake trout fry nipping at our feet.

Crossing the Boulder Lake Dam.

Last day- Mexican food, a birthday celebration and pictures on Payette lake.

IMTUF 100 Course, Peaks, Adventure Running, Elk Scouting, etc.

Brandi scoots along the North Ridge of Slab Butte.


Cooling off at Louie Lake on a 90+F day.


B climbs toward Box Lake with Box peak in the background.

Black Lee Creek drainage below Box Lake.

Box Lake...7am.

Climbing to the Crestline Trail highpoint.

Crestline.

Crestline.  Meadow below Box Peak.

Climbing to Fall Creek Saddle.  Payette Lake and McCall below.

Fall Creek Summit.  Snowslide and Sawtooth peaks in the background.

Fall Creek descent is steep.  Here, B latches onto a small pine to keep from sliding out of control.

Storm Peak.  I ran from 20 Mile Trailhead to the 20 Mile Lakes in 1:01.  Previous PR was 1:11.  From the Lakes, it is a short but steep (.75 miles, 1400+ feet) off trail hike to Storm Peak.  The view is of South Loon Peak and the rugged Loon Creek drainage.  A huge granite wall looms in the foreground.  Looks like great climbing.

View from foreground to background.  20 Mile Lakes, 20 Mile Creek canyon, Crestline Trail peaks.

B, solo on Snowslide.

B, just below Lick Creek Summit.

B, Duck Lake.

6 comments:

  1. Well that whets the appetite. Stoked to get out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forget how awesome the course is until I spend some time out there in July and August. I will be running it a few times this month- in sections, of course. It really exposes flaws in the technical game. Your state is the "Granite State" but you will see the Idaho batholith has plenty of rocky trails and cliffs too. Forty-some miles in, you run past Slickrock, which could be mistaken for Cannon Cliff or Whitehorse, if it were in NH.

      See you soon Adam.

      Delete
  2. Awesome! Life is good. How did the elk scouting go? I'm possibly doing my first elk hunt in September, bow of course. Up near Aspen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aspen is in the Elk Mountain Range. That sounds elky enough for me.

      I've been focusing on running outings, but carrying a small pair of binoculars with me. I do my normal runs to mountain tops, then sit down and glass for a while. As September nears, I will do more off trail hiking and focused scouting. Lately, I have pushed around a few herds in places I expect them. I have stayed away from my honey holes until the season starts. No need to stir them up now.

      Are you going out with someone else? I hope they are as fit as you. Fitness is the only tool I really have. I hunt aggressive and ruin some chances, but I know I can just climb the next mountain and find some more.

      Are you experienced with the bow? I've been at it a few years and happy to share what little I know.

      Delete
  3. I grew up bow hunting. Got a turkey when I was ~14 and hunted deer back in Kansas from a tree stand, took a couple shots but never got anything. I'm going with one of my Leadman athletes who has gotten quite a few elk in the past (and a mountain lion), so I'll use this mostly just to learn. But ya, he's as solid as they come! 3 time Leadville 100 run finisher. My sons both have bows and are really in to it so this is something I want to do with them in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shoot lots in practice- you never know what kind of once in a lifetime opportunity you may see out there. If he knows what he's doing, you will get in tight with the elk and it could be crazy. Set up a nice range for you and the boys. I never knew just how enjoyable and relaxing cracking off a few arrows in the evening with the wife would be. A worthwhile pursuit in its own. Please post up some pics.

    ReplyDelete